Thursday, April 28, 2011

Nobody's Fault But Mine

In the spirit of my last entry, I thought I would go ahead and try my hand at making the healthiest muffins our cupboard would allow...with no butter, eggs, or oil. I found a banana bran oatmeal muffin recipe that suited our ingredients and modified it to include fruit puree in place of the other ingredients.

I have made banana bread a handful of times, and in spite of occasional straying from recipes (see: running out of bananas), it always seemed to turn out well. The problem with banana bread is that it's too darn tasty for how healthy it isn't.

An experienced baker might have been able to foresee the problems we encountered today (a *banana* muffin with fruit puree as oil/egg substitutes?!). I am by no means experienced, and this was my first time with muffins. I won't be too detailed, but although the taste was good, the texture and aesthetics left a lot to be desired, not to mention it didn't really rise at all.

My husband didn't complain (and it seemed as though he actually liked them), but I would have been embarrassed to share them with anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment